The
government had promised to foot the medical bills of the blasts which killed
more than 100 people in Abuja.
The
victims, who converged on the premises of the National Assembly, carried
placards with different inscriptions expressing their anger, some of which
read:
“It has been
10 months and nothing has been done for us; most of us still have medical
challenges’’ and “We are dying slowly, we need government support.’’
Some of
the victims that they could not do follow up treatments in the hospitals.
The
Coordinator of the group, Mr Arthur Vav, said that they wanted the Federal
Government to reopen their medical files in the hospitals for follow-up
treatments.
Vav said
most of the victims had undergone series of surgical operations, while some
still had sharp objects lodged in their bodies that needed to be removed but
could not afford the cost of treatment.
“The last
bomb blast was June 25 which would be one year next month, while Nyanya already
was one year April 14, since then we have been paying most of our medical
bills.
“The
government paid some bills for us but I strongly believe there are supposed to
be a follow-ups after you have been discharged from the hospital.
“This is
because when you get back to your house, you find out some sharp objects in the
body and you discover you still need some medical treatment,’’ he said.
Vav said
the group had written to the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), the
President of the Senate and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation
but received no response.
He said the
peaceful demonstration was to express their grievances.
“We have
been neglected by the government because for one year now nothing has been
done,’’ he said.
Mr Thomas
Aduche, another member of the group, said they were left to fate without any
support from the government.
Aduche
said he paid for the last operation carried out on his neck and pleaded with
the government to empower them as most of them had lost their jobs.
Two women
who lost their husbands, Mrs Favour Ndubisi and Mrs Sarah Andy called on government
to empower them to enable them to take care of their children.
“I am a
qualified teacher but due to the lack of job I teach in private school where
the salary is very small; if government will employ me, I will be happy,’’
Ndubisi said.
Mr Victor
Dike, representing the Sergeant-At-Arms for the Senate, who addressed the group
promised to look into their case.
Dike told NAN that the group wrote a letter to the Senate last two weeks and did not follow up to know the outcome.
Dike told NAN that the group wrote a letter to the Senate last two weeks and did not follow up to know the outcome.
“I
promise to look for the solution to their problem through the letter they
submitted and once we get the letter I will tell them the action they have
taken on the letter and that is the normal procedure.
“They
just submitted their letter two or three weeks ago and have not followed up the
letter only to come for demonstration, it is not okay,’’ he said. (NAN)
No comments:
Post a Comment